Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Technology in the Classroom

After reviewing Christine, Elizabeth, and Colleen’s viewpoints, I mostly came to an agreement with all of them. All of these ladies mentioned the importance of technology as expressed in the video. I specifically agreed with Elizabeth who emphasized how the technological skills the students will obtain will be helpful in the workplace. Like these ladies, I do believe it is our role as teachers to promote technology. However as a future English teacher, I feel that a lot can be lost to technology. In the A Vision of K-12 Students today video, the students told us how they listen to Harry Potter on their i-pod. I am a firm believer that books should be read. There are so many skills students can gain from reading such as vocabulary and it is such an important skill to have. In my opinion, there should be a balance of technology and non-technology in the classroom. I thought that Christine’s idea of teaching the students how to blog was a really intelligent one. The students can practice their typing skills, learn how to blog, and practice their writing skills as well in this exercise. These are the types of activities I want to include in my lesson plans while also covering the basic English skills as well. Colleen makes a great point that English is a subject that revolves around papers and books. It is important that students learn how to use both without any technology needed. I think it is important that if one teacher does not teach their students certain technology, they should learn it in another class. The curriculum should give every student the same education revolving technology and should teach them what they need to know for college and their future.

Sources: Christine Woods: http://commentsbyc.blogspot.com/
Elizabeth Plog: http://eplog2.wordpress.com/
Colleen Mostyn: http://cmostyn.blogspot.com/

No comments: