Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Response to Sir Ken Robinson's Speech

I believe that Sir Ken Robinson had many valuable points in his speech. Academic ability is important, but so is creativity. Children, especially at young ages, should be playing in the classroom because they learn as they play. It appears that students are not being encouraged to be creative and that they are growing out of their creativity at an earlier age. In the list of important subjects, the arts are at the bottom. It is important to encourage imagination and creativity because these skills lead to life-changing inventions. As a teacher, it is important for me to include activities that will expand my students’ imagination. To do this, I can include activities where students draw certain scenes from books or have group discussions about the readings. I agree with Robinson that we need to educate all parts of the brain, not just the academic part. As a future teacher, I need to take his advice in order to give my students a complete education.

No comments: